Deadline: April 22 however this will be Open until filled
Position: Horticulturist-Field Manager
Seed Savers Exchange is currently seeking a Horticulturist-Field Manager to work directly with the Collection Curator on all field projects involving the thousands of heirloom and open-pollinated varieties in the SSE Collection. The Horticulturist-Field Manager will manage and perform all aspects of seed production and vegetative crops propagation. This position is located at Heritage Farm in Decorah, IA.
The Horticulturist-Field Manager will be directly involved with and responsible for all stages of germplasm regeneration and collection maintenance in the field. This includes, but is not limited to:
• Garden management, including field cultivation, weed management, crop rotations, cover-cropping, and soil management
• Garden planning and layout; fence and isolation tent set-up
• All aspects of organic seed production, including planting, weeding, watering, etc.
• Ensuring varietal purity of all seed regenerations and increases
• Seed collection, drying, and processing; over-wintering biennial seed crops
• Maintenance, harvesting and propagation of vegetative crops
• Supervision of garden crew and other SSE staff, training new and seasonal staff as needed; working with crews as needed to ensure efficiency and accuracy
• Managing pests and diseases in keeping with certified organic practices; implement IPM programs when necessary
• Ensure proper maintenance and use of equipment and vehicles; ensure all safety rules are followed
• Coordinate with horticultural and curatorial staff on other field activities/projects
• Collect and enter field data; management of all field and regeneration records
• Provide status updates and reports on all field activities
• Assist with educational and research projects as required
• Organization and ordering of supplies
There is a minimum educational requirement of a Bachelor’s Degree in horticulture or related field. At least 2 years of experience working with plants in a professional capacity is expected; previous project management experience and supervision of field crews is required. Previous farm or extensive gardening experience with vegetables is preferred. All applicants must possess a valid driver’s license.
• Excellent computer skills, including ability to work in complex databases
• Ability to communicate effectively with other staff
• Ability to work well in a fast-paced environment with changing day to day needs
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team
• Ability to work in all types of outdoor conditions
Salary is commensurate with experience. This is a full-time position with paid holidays and vacation, excellent medical/dental coverage, and retirement plan. Seed Savers Exchange is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply, please email a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to email@example.com. Please include ‘Horticulturist-Field Mgr’ in the subject line of your email.