Reports to: Farm Manager
Work Period: To be set after discussion with intern.
Work Week: 20-25 hours per week, hours and schedule to be set after discussion with intern.
Compensation: Intern position is unpaid. Internship may qualify for college internship class credit.
*Housing, utilities, and seasonal garden produce available*
- Work with farm manager and other interns, staff, partners, and/or volunteers to maintain vegetable gardens, including seeding, transplanting, weeding, irrigation, pest control and harvesting.
- Participate in marketing of produce through washing, packing and transporting produce for farmer’s market and CSA, and attending weekly farmer’s market.
- Work with summer youth employees on farm, providing direction and educating them about farming.
- Carry out activities of organic farm plan, likely including seeding, mowing, and tilling cover crops; applying organic soil amendments to fields, etc.
- Assist with maintenance and repairs of farm facilities, such as barn and greenhouse, and equipment such as tractor, implements, rototillers, field tools, shop tools, etc.
- Help with farm composting as appropriate.
- Irrigate fields and grounds as needed.
- Monitor and control soil and crop pests and diseases using organic practices.
- Help to maintain landscaping around the site.
- Care for a variety of fruit trees on the property.
- Assist with recordkeeping as needed.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities desired:
- Willingness and ability to assist in all labor functions associated with taking care of Ceres Center
- Willingness to work outdoors during hot weather in the summer and cold foggy weather in winter.
- Must have a strong desire to learn the nuts and bolts of sustainable agriculture and local food access.
- Knowledge of or desire to learn about fruit tree care.
- Previous gardening and/or horticultural experience desired but not required.
- Must be willing and able to maintain positive communication channels with a diverse (gender, ethnic, age, religion, etc.) group of co-workers and visitors.
- Willingness to share housing and participate in housekeeping chores.
- Must be 18 years or older.