The Boston Public Market (BMPA) is a non-profit volunteer organization dedicated to the creation of a year-round public market in downtown Boston. The BPMA manages an outdoor farmers market in Downtown Boston on Tuesdays and Thursdays from May 26th through November 22nd. We are seeking a Market Intern to assist with market operations throughout the season.
The Farmers Market Intern will assist the Market Manager with all aspects of market operations. This internship requires personal confidence and the ability to communicate effectively with a variety of people, including: customers, farmers, volunteers, health inspectors, police and city transportation departments.
The Intern’s general responsibilities include: coordinating market set-up and break-down each day, assisting vendors with sales, market counts, helping promote the market and BPMA’s ultimate mission of establishing a year-round public market in Boston, assisting with social media and general outreach to promote the market, operating and promoting the EBT (food stamps) program, and assisting with the market’s special events program.
The Market Intern must be available during market hours throughout the season, be willing and able to work outside in all weather conditions; and be able to safely lift and carry at least 50 pounds. The position requires the ability to work independently as well as inter-dependently with a team of other paid and volunteer staff members.
The ideal candidate will be an enthusiastic advocate of the local food movement and Massachusetts agriculture. Interns must be reliable, self-motivated, and have good communication skills.
Specific manager responsibilities will be determined by the needs of the Market Manager, customers, our partners and the vendors at the market. Generally, the Market Intern is responsible for the following activities:
- Arrives at market 2 hours before opening to coordinate market set-up and stays at market until all vendors have left (usually no more than 1 hour after market closing).
- Sets up safety cones prior to vendor arrival, sets up BPMA tent, table and display
- Places directional signs promoting the market around the community at key locations prior to opening on each market day, and removes those signs at the close of market
- Coordinates vendor parking and set-up, ensuring vendors are in the correct space
- Staffs the BPMA tent providing information to customers, selling BPMA merchandise and helping run the EBT/Credit Card machine
GENERAL MARKET SUPPORT
- Develops and maintains good working relationships with the Market Manager, vendors, consumers and community members.
- Assists vendors, community representatives, and consumers by providing market-related information, conflict resolution and general aid as appropriate.
- Enforces market rules
- Interns may occasionally assist vendors by providing limited set up help and brief personal breaks and by assisting vendors with sales during especially busy times.
OUTREACH AND MARKETING
- Works with the Market Manager and our partners to promote the market through social media, contributing to weekly email newsletters, and promotion throughout the community
- Educates consumers about the BPMA’s mission to create a year-round public market.
- Assists with the development and coordination of special events – including educational programming, harvest festivals, fundraisers and musical performances
This is an internship with a weekly stipend. It requires assisting with market operations for 10 hours during the market, two days per week. We will work with your educational institution to secure internship credits if desired. We are looking for an intern who can commit to the entire market season (every Tuesday and Thursday, 9:30am – 7:30pm, May 26 – November 22, 2011).
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to: