Location: Southern Michigan, preferably Lansing or Ann Arbor
Posted: May 3, 2011
Application Deadline: May 25th, 2011
The Organic Farming Research Foundation (OFRF) is a national, farmer-led non-profit organization dedicated to achieving the continuous improvement and widespread adoption of organic farming systems. One of the key strategies to achieving that vision is to create a national agriculture policy that facilitates the growth of organic agriculture. A prime opportunity for changing agriculture policy is through the farm bill — which Congress reauthorizes every five years. Planning for the 2012 Farm Bill is underway in Congress and OFRF is gearing up for a 2011/2012 grassroots campaign to ensure that the farm bill supports and strengthens our nation’s rapidly growing organic sector.
OFRF seeks to hire an experienced organizer to work on the ground in Michigan and Ohio to organize support for organic and cultivate congressional champions in the 2012 Farm Bill. OFRF has identified Michigan and Ohio as two top states with significant representation on congressional agriculture committees charged with drafting the 2012 Farm Bill. The Upper Midwest Field Organizer ensures that organic family farmers, organic farming advocates, consumers, and other diverse stakeholders in Michigan and Ohio actively participate in the 2012 Farm Bill process. OFRF is gearing up for its 2012 Farm Bill campaign, and the Upper Midwest Field Organizer will be responsible for building our Michigan and Ohio networks and strategically engaging organic family farmers and advocates throughout the farm bill debate.
The Upper Midwest Field Organizer is a part-time, 40 hours per month position.
- Develop and implement the grassroots organizing strategy in Michigan and in key congressional districts in Ohio to complement and forward OFRF’s national policy platform, under the supervision of the Policy Program Organizer, who is located in Santa Cruz, CA.
- Ensure that organic is strongly represented at farm bill field hearings, media events, and other opportunities for civic engagement.
- Organize in-district meetings with legislators and members of the organic community.
- Build OFRF’s network of organic farmer advocates in Michigan and Ohio.
- Work with and mobilize a network of grass-top partners and organic advocacy organizations at the regional and state levels.
- Identify and work with farmer advocates in Michigan and key congressional districts in Ohio on specific tactics to advance OFRF’s policy goals and agenda.
- Plan farmer advocate trainings and workshops.
- In coordination with OFRF’s Policy and Communications teams, produce materials for generating awareness and action around the 2012 Farm Bill in Michigan and Ohio.
- Some travel, weekends, and evenings as necessary.
- Other duties as may arise appropriate to this position.
- Two or more years of organizing experience on public policy campaigns; online organizing experience strongly desired
- Experience developing and implementing grassroots advocacy campaigns and strategies
- Familiarity with Michigan and Ohio organic/sustainable farming and advocacy community strongly preferred
- Experience developing communications and written products for grassroots advocacy
- Excellent writing, speaking, and communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Experience working with and coordinating electronic grassroots advocacy networks
- Experience working with and as part of regional or national coalitions
- Ability to work independently and as part of a remote team
- Working knowledge of the federal policy process, with background in federal agriculture and/or environmental policy preferred
- Experience with email marketing preferred
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Experience working on a farm or with farmers preferred
Compensation: $1,500 per month for 9 months, with potential to extend position through 2012, pending performance review and funding.
Deadline for Applications: May 25th, 2011
To apply, please send a resume, cover letter, the contact information for three references, and two short, advocacy related writing samples (no more than two pages each) to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Upper Midwest Field Organizer Application” in the subject line. Electronic applications only. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
No phone calls please.
For more information about OFRF, please visit our website at www.ofrf.org.
OFRF is an Equal Opportunity Employer.