Position: Seed Historian and Plant Records Coordinator
Purpose: Seed Savers Exchange (SSE) is currently seeking a Seed Historian and Plant Records Coordinator to improve existing accession documentation and standardize plant records. Working closely with the Collection Curator, the Seed Historian will play a crucial role in helping to prioritize field regenerations, and to increase the availability of rare varieties. This position is located at Heritage Farm in Decorah, IA.
1. CORE: Manage the multi-year CORE (Collections Origins Research Effort) project, which was initiated in 2010 to improve documentation on the thousands of member-donated heirlooms and open-pollinated varieties in SSE’s plant collections. This includes, but is not limited to: documenting oral histories, contacting donors to enrich original accession data, researching historical varieties, verifying accession authenticity, digitizing photographs and documents, data scrubbing, copying/filing old documents, etc. As needed, train and oversee seasonal and/or other SSE staff.
2. Plant records: Coordinate utilization of plant collections databases. Provide support to all users in navigating the database, locating records, and performing simple queries. Assist in a planned transition to the GRIN-Global database.
3. Labels/Tags/Signage: Print labels for packaging new seed. Print lists, labels and tags for all field plantings. Pull data to be used in educational and promotional signage. Assist in full implementation of bar-code system.
4. Distribution: Proof all of Heritage’s Farm Yearbook listings. Track records during data export, performing trouble-shooting and editing records as needed.
5. Seed donations: See new donations through the evaluation process and prepare accepted donations for inventory. Prepare quarterly reports on new donations.
6. Outreach: Communicate with SSE members and the general public on all areas outlined above. Write articles for SSE publications.
7. Other duties. Perform additional duties as assigned by the Collection Curator.
Qualifications: A Bachelor’s degree in a related field is required. Must demonstrate, through previous experiences in academic and/or professional settings, the ability to independently perform all work associated with job description. Preference will be given to candidates with horticultural backgrounds.
Salary: Salary is commensurate with experience. This is a full-time position with paid holidays and vacation, excellent medical/dental coverage, and retirement plan. Seed Savers Exchange is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply, please email a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to: email@example.com. Please include ‘Seed Historian and Plant Records Manager’ in the subject line of your email.