The Organic Farming Research Foundation’s vision is that organic farming will be the leading form of agriculture in this country. We do this by building the infrastructure where organic family farming can be successful, profitable, viable, and attractive.
For more than 20 years, OFRF has been sponsoring organic farming research and education and outreach projects through our competitive grantmaking program, sharing the research results with growers interested in adopting organic production systems, and fighting for policy changes in Washington, D.C., that will benefit American organic family farmers. OFRF’s integrated strategy of grantmaking, policy, education, and networking initiatives supports organic farmers’ immediate information needs while moving the public and policymakers toward greater investment in organic farming systems.
The Communications Director will play a significant role in shaping the way OFRF connects and motivates its key constituents and audiences as it embarks on its next 20 years. The Communications Director is responsible for developing and implementing a communications strategy to increase the visibility and financial support of OFRF, successfully share our research information with farmers, and build support for our policy positions. The primary areas of focus will be message development, media relations, and public outreach and constituent communications. The Communications Director will work collaboratively with senior leadership to develop and implement comprehensive communication strategies to broaden the impact of Organic Farming Research Foundation’s programs; develop and maintain OFRF’s relationships with national, regional, local, and agricultural media, bloggers, columnists and editorial staff; and excite and engage institutional funders and individual donors, farmers, elected officials and advocates. The Communications Director leads a team of communication and development staff and consultants, and reports directly to the Executive Director.
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills as demonstrated by professional experiences and achievements. The writing and editing skills are a top priority and these will be specifically evaluated during the hiring process at the interview stage.
- Knowledge of the broad field of communications gained from at least five years of professional experience and responsibility for the design, implementation, and management of communications strategies in the non-profit or for-profit world.
- Proven capability to effectively communicate with culturally and economically diverse audiences, with a particular focus on those involved in farming and public policy.
- Demonstrated capability and understanding of new communications technologies, strategies, and tactics that respond to the internal and external needs of a medium-scale organization.
- Proven experience and skills in time management, budgeting, and program effectiveness.
- Demonstrated ability to generate and deliver persuasive and clear verbal and written communications in a variety of media forms and channels.
- Experience working with graphic designers, printers, and website developers.
- · Ability to meet deadlines, problem-solve, and work well with management and consultants.
- Excellent supervisory skills.
- Proficiency with Mac and PC as well as MS Office Suite (especially Word, Excel, and Access).
- University degree or recognized professional training in a field related to communications, marketing, or a related field of expertise and study.
- Experience working with or for non-profit environmental or agricultural organizations
- Must possess a strong commitment to the mission, values and goals of the Organic Farming Research Foundation
- Experience in the professional world of communications related to organic farming.
- Knowledge of environmental or agricultural issues and affiliated public advocacy issues.
- Experience with non-profit development and/or advocacy efforts.
- Must be able to work independently as well as within a team
- Superior attention to detail
- Willingness and ability to travel to meetings and other OFRF events (must maintain CA driver license); and
- Honesty, integrity, humility, and strong initiative.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
OFRF offers competitive salaries, a full range of benefits, a flexible work schedule, and a great work environment. We look for co-workers that can have fun while working as hard as we do for a cause we love. The Communications Director position is a full-time position based in Santa Cruz, California.
Please visit the OFRF website at www.ofrf.org to learn more about the Organic Farming Research Foundation and to review the full job description. All qualified applicants should submit:
- A compelling cover letter stating your interest, availability, and general qualifications,
- A resume or CV outlining your skills and experience, and
- Two samples of your writing, such as a press release, blog, grant proposal, or report.
Submit your complete packet via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include “OFRF Communications Director” in the subject line.
PLEASE NO PHONE CALLS.
Organic Farming Research Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.