Dates & Hours: Tuesdays, July 19th through October 11th, 3pm – 7:30pm with some flexible hours in June and October for planning, promotion and preparing a summary report; this is a part-time position. Compensation: $800, plus some vegetables from the farm.
Outreach Market Description: Waltham Fields Community Farm’s Outreach Market is a once-a-week, subsidized produce market, operating on Tuesday afternoons, mid July through mid October. The Market is targeted to all low-income residents in Waltham, as well as the clientele of several local, social service agencies. At the Market, customers can fill a paper grocery bag with our organically-grown vegetables for just $5 per bag, or by redeeming a voucher which entitles them to a free bag of produce. We administer the vouchers through the social service agencies. With these agency partnerships, we continue to increase the number of voucher booklets distributed each year.
Outreach Market Intern Responsibilities:
– Help distribute program vouchers to partnering social service agencies.
– Help publicize the market through creation and posting of physical flyers in the community as well as through email and internet postings.
– Assist farmers with loading up vegetables at the farm, displaying vegetables at the Market, and breaking everything down at the end of the day.
– Assist customers with bag purchase and voucher redemption.
– Interact with customers, providing them with a positive shopping experience and engaging them in conversations promoting fresh produce consumption and involvement with the Farm.
– Assemble nutrition education materials, recipes, and local agriculture and food assistance resources and make them available for market customers.
– Assist instructors providing periodic on-site cooking demonstrations and food tastings.
– Maintain accurate records of bag purchases and voucher redemptions throughout the season.
Qualifications: Applicants should be proficient in Spanish, be able to lift 50 pounds, have a valid driver’s license and have enthusiasm for our mission-related work – including local food production, education and hunger relief/food access. Experience working with the public is a plus.
About Waltham Fields Community Farm: We are a non-profit community farm located in Waltham, just 10 miles west of Boston. We grow produce on 11 acres for a 450-share Community Supported Agriculture program (CSA), education and outreach initiatives and to supply several hunger relief/food access efforts. We work extensively with volunteers and the public in all aspects of our organization. We build relationships between people, their food supply, and the land from which it grows.
To Apply: Send letter of inquiry to Dan Roberts, WFCF Field Manager via mail or email to 240 Beaver St. Waltham, MA 02452 email@example.com