Stellar Markets Program
Physical Activity and Nutrition Program
New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene
Nutrition Education Assistants
The Nutrition Education Assistants will work directly with a Nutrition Education Consultant (Registered Dietitian) in the preparation and delivery of nutrition education and cooking demonstrations at farmers’ markets. Workshops will be implemented outside at farmers’ markets in select high-need neighborhoods with a range of audiences (adults, seniors, parents, and youth). The position is seasonal to coincide with the market growing season and is part-time (20 hrs/wk) from June through November.
Duties will include, but are not limited to:
• Assist with the preparation and implementation of nutrition education sessions including cooking demonstrations.
• Translate workshops from English to Spanish.
• Assist with the implementation of point-of-purchase and social marketing activities.
• Promote nutrition education sessions to ensure minimum required level of participation is achieved.
• Assist with the collection of demographic and evaluation data from workshop participants.
• Participate in trainings and meetings with other program staff.
Spanish Fluency Required
• Experience in nutrition education and/or cooking;
• Experience working in multi-cultural settings with diverse populations;
• Knowledgeable about community food security issues in New York City;
• Excellent interpersonal and communications skills.
Each Nutrition Education Assistant will provide the above services for $12.50/hr.
Please send a resume and cover letter to: Kate Gardner, Program Coordinator, Stellar Farmers’ Markets: firstname.lastname@example.org