Stellar Farmers Market Program
Physical Activity and Nutrition Program
New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene
Nutrition Education Consultant
The selected consultants will be required to deliver nutrition education and cooking demonstrations at farmers markets. Workshops will be implemented in select high-need neighborhoods with a range of audiences (adults, seniors, parents, and youth). The nutrition education consultants will also be expected to assist with the development and implementation of point-of-purchase nutrition information and social marketing activities. These positions are seasonal to coincide with the market growing season (June 27th through November 15th) and part-time (22 hrs/wk).
Duties will include, but are not limited to:
• Implement nutrition education sessions including cooking demonstrations in accordance with the Just Say Yes to Fruits and Vegetables (JSY) curricula (topic areas include, dietary quality-Food Guide Pyramid, fiber, stretching the food dollar, food safety, beans, portion size, label reading and meal planning) .
• Conduct background research necessary to supplement JSY activities, including identifying recipes that meet the JSY nutrition requirements and are culturally and seasonally appropriate.
• Assist with the development and implementation of point-of-purchase and social marketing activities at farmers markets and other community settings.
• Promote nutrition education sessions to ensure minimum required level of participation is achieved.
• Collect demographic and outcome evaluation data from workshop participants
• Update and maintain existing evaluation database and provide regular feedback to Program Coordinator.
• Participate in trainings and meetings with other program staff.
• Experience in nutrition education and/or cooking;
• Experience working in multi-cultural settings with diverse populations;
• Knowledgeable about community food security issues in New York City;
• Excellent interpersonal and communications skills. At a minimum, the consultants must be a Registered Dietitian, Registered Dietitian Eligible or have completed a minimum of 12 credit hours in nutrition. Consultants must have nutrition education experience in multi-cultural settings with diverse populations and must be knowledgeable about community food security issues in New York City.
Each selected consultant will provide the above services for $25/hr. The term of this contract will be June 27, 2011 to November 15, 2011.
Please send a resume and cover letter to: Kate Gardner, Program Coordinator, Stellar Farmers Markets: firstname.lastname@example.org