Mass Farmers Markets (MFM) is the only statewide association completely dedicated to farmers markets. Our mission is to partner with farmers, consumers, and communities to foster, enhance and sustain farmers market in Massachusetts in order to improve regional farm viability, consumer nutrition, and community social and economic development
In an effort to support our ongoing programs and services, we are launching a Consumer Membership Program in 2011 to complement our existing Industry Membership Program, which is highlighted by our Market Membership program that provides Member Markets with increased access to MFM support services. Our Consumer Membership Program provides an opportunity for market shoppers to help create a stronger base for our organization while becoming more involved in the farmers market community. The Consumer Membership Program allows Consumer Members to designate 1/3 of their membership to the Member Market of their choice.
The Membership Recruitment Associate (MRA) will travel to Markets across the state to explain the new Consumer Membership program to market managers and, at member markets, to promote the Consumer Membership program to the markets’ shoppers. When traveling to non-Member Markets, the MRA will explain the benefits of becoming an industry member (Member Market) of Mass Farmers Markets.
The ideal candidate for this position will have a strong background in sales and consumer relations, a passion for local and sustainable agriculture, exposure to working in a nonprofit environment and be organized, energetic, friendly and outgoing.
- Travel to 2 or more farmers markets per day, (most days depending on location of markets)
- Become an expert on the benefits offered to both industry and consumer members
- Work with MFM staff to create ways to educate people about our membership opportunities, including outreach to media and community groups
- Assist in creating outreach materials
- Develop and implement an effective membership sales strategy
- Report on shoppers’, vendors’, and market managers’ feedback about the membership program to all MFM staff.
- Outgoing and people oriented: this job requires a great deal of personal interaction with market managers, shoppers, and vendors
- Self Confidence and ability to sell memberships
- Passion for local food systems
- Detail Oriented
- Interest in understanding how membership programs help non-profits thrive
- Reliable car and willingness to travel across Massachusetts.
- Ability and Willingness to work flexible hours, including some weekends.
Time Commitment and Salary
This is a half-time, salaried position. Salary is $250 / week with a travel allowance of up to $75.00 per week
The majority of work hours will be spent visiting farmers markets across Massachusetts. The Membership Recruitment Associate’s presence will occasionally be required at MFM’s Waltham office.
This position will start in June and continue through December.
To Apply Please e-mail a resume and cover letter to Martha Sweet, Operations Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org