DEADLINE: May 27, 2011
START DATE: July 1, 2011
LOCATION: Brooklyn, New York
REPORTS TO: Associate Director of National Programs
Slow Food USA is building a movement to fix food and farming in this country, and seeks to inspire and engage everyday people through grassroots advocacy and local projects. A non-profit organization, Slow Food USA has over 225 volunteer-led chapters across the country, representing more than 24,000 members and reaching a network of 200,000 people. Slow Food USA advocates for food and farming policy that is good for the public, good for farmers and workers, and good for the planet. Slow Food USA has seen explosive growth over the past 18 months, and we anticipate that growth continuing.
Slow Food USA is seeking an online communications manager. The ideal candidate has demonstrated experience in building and sending mass emails; utilizing social media, particularly in the area of managing online communities and increasing online engagement; meeting fundraising targets, and leveraging cutting edge technologies.
Responsibilities will include:
• Email: Build and send all outgoing communications using Convio products
• Analytics: Work with Associate Director to monitor and analyze all analytics, leading to more targeted online outreach and maximum public visibility
• Social Media:
o Act as main tweeter and Facebook poster for the organization
o Work with Associate Director and program team to stay abreast of needs in terms of partnerships and outside commitments
o Work with the Development Department to create and implement corporate sponsorship strategies
o Monitor online conversations about key issues and identify opportunities for engagement
o Work with Youth Coordinator to develop and implement social media strategies that engage youth audiences
• Blog: Develop and implement a strategy that supports campaigns, engages audiences, and develops partnerships; manage the SFUSA blog (including editing and solicitation of content)
• Web Content: Work with all departments to keep all aspects of website content up to date and maximally effective; lead the process for building new web pages as the need arises.
• Strategy Development: Be part of a team responsible for launching integrated online/on-ground engagement strategies
• Innovation: Stay on top of emerging online organizing trends and tools
• 2 years professional experience in online/social media sphere
• Experience with mass constituent email communications in the non-profit advocacy context
• Demonstrated abilities in some of these key areas: blogging, social networking, internet video distribution, online fundraising, online petitions, other online organizing tools and methods
• Experience in the principles and practices of testing, managing, and interpreting quantitative data
• Self-starter and ability to work efficiently and swiftly (with minimal lead time)
• Good project management (scope, budget, timeline), strategic and analytical skills
• Interpersonal communication skills that foster high-performing teamwork
• Writing skills
• Willingness to work long, sometimes irregular hours, sometimes including weekends and evenings
• Computer and web literacy, proficiency using CMS and CRM systems, knowledge of basic HTML
• Experience working on/knowledge of food and farming related issues
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience; benefits included.
By May 27 please submit to cover letter, resume, and three references to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Include in subject line: SFUSA Online Engagement
No phone calls please.
Slow Food USA is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to reflect the diverse community that works toward and cares about a healthy food system. Applicants who contribute to this diversity are strongly encouraged to apply.