HARVEST KITCHEN VISTA to work with urban youth in Farm Fresh’s culinary and job-readiness training program. The Harvest Kitchen, started in January 2010, trains youth while empowering them to create their own line of products for sale. Youth use ingredients sourced from local farmers to create high-quality preserved foods (i.e. applesauce, canned peaches) at a certified kitchen in Providence. This program aims to become a self-sustaining social venture, with earned income from the sales of products and the creation of a skilled crew hired to do food processing for area farmers.
The Harvest Kitchen VISTA will work directly with youth in a kitchen facility, supporting the work of the Chef Educator. The VISTA will also work in the Farm Fresh Rhode Island office, directly with the Program and Outreach Directors, on further developing the Harvest Kitchen program. Tasks will include:
- Direct education of youth in culinary, food safety, nutrition, and job skills.
- Research and development of existing and new products to produce and sell under the Harvest Kitchen brand.
- Collaborate with partners to make employment and internship connections for the trainees.
- Locate and schedule field trips and visiting instructors for the trainees.
- Work with the Farm Fresh team on various other projects when needed, such as farmers markets and farm-to-business distribution.
- Professional culinary training/experience.
- Basic knowledge of Servsafe and food safety.
- Entrepreneurial spirit; highly motivated and independent worker.
- Comfort working with diverse constituents.
- Experience working with urban youth preferred.
- Basic Spanish preferred.
- Background check required.
Please send resume, cover letter and questions to Sheri Griffin, Sheri@farmfreshri.org or apply online through Americorps VISTA website.