The Greenbrier Valley Local Foods Initiative works with farmers, markets, restaurants, distributors, schools, consumers, and food pantries to increase accessibility, availability, and affordability of fresh, healthy regional foods. Working with partner organizations such as WVU Extension and community non-profits, associations, and other stakeholders in the local food system, we are hosting workshops, bringing in nationally recognized food experts, expanding markets, developing educational programs for students, planting community gardens, participating in local and statewide roundtable discussions, and connecting people with information through internet and new technologies.
The VISTA will:
- Support farmers and markets in business development and marketing strategies to increase incomes and production capacity.
- Coordinate with schools and community organizations on low income healthy food access issues to develop targeted pilot projects.
- Keep track of the broader food scene in the Greenbrier Valley and nationally and seek out opportunities to benefit our region.
- Use the online mailing list and social networking tools to distribute notifications and resources.
- Pursue appropriate grant and funding opportunities.
- Update and expand the online directory of regional food projects and announcements at http://www.greenbriervalley.org
- Attend occasional weekend and night meetings of local community and farm groups depending on current projects.
- Take on additional tasks as needed under the supervision/direction of Greenbrier Valley Economic Development staff and as specified in the VISTA project plan.
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- Dedication, Persistence and Professionalism.
- Creativity, Vision, and Resourcefulness.
- Ability to use computers including proficiency in Microsoft Office and Online Media. Website management experience preferred.
- Self-motivated, ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to multitask.
- Experience in food systems work and/or agriculture a plus.
To apply please email a cover letter and resume to Stacie Gilmore, Food Systems Project Coordinator, at email@example.com.