- 2 – 5 years maintaining vegetable gardens
- Previous experience with year-round gardening using row covers and an unheated greenhouse
- Education and/or experience working with youth, ages 5 – 18, in a urban agriculture setting
- Enthusiasm and commitment to the development of a youth-led urban agriculture food system.
- Prepared to work indoors and outdoors under all weather conditions; lift 50 pounds.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain network of GCYC gardens. Tasks to include: planning, seed ordering, seed starting, planting, weeding, soil management, integrated pest management, harvesting, packaging, distribution and record keeping.
- Assist garden manager with various distribution programs to internal and external clients.
- Lead crew of young people ages 13 – 18 in hands-on learning of all aspects of urban agriculture, food production and perennial plant production.
Hours and compensation:
Up to 40 hours per week to include some Saturdays and Sundays. Job may be extended depending on pending funding and performance. Compensation based on experience.
Please send your resume, cover letter and three references to Marji Hess, Gary Comer Youth Center, Garden Manager, via email at email@example.com. No phone calls, please.