At risk youth; nutrition education; cooking classes; Rochester, NY
Deadline to Apply
May 30, 2011
Foodlink, Inc., is a vibrant not-for-profit organization in Rochester, NY. As a Feeding America regional food bank, Foodlink rescues and redistributes more than 11 million pounds of food annually to a network of 450 member agencies in a 10-county area in Central and Western New York. Our vision is to end hunger, build self-sufficiency, and foster nutritional wellness.
Primary Purpose of Job / Overall Vision
We are seeking a Summer Nutrition Education Outreach Coordinator to make a difference in the lives of Rochester youth. This individual will use their knowledge, enthusiasm and creativity in assisting the implementation and expansion of the child nutrition education program. This is a temporary full-time opportunity.
This individual will manage the daily operations of the kidsCAN (Cooking, Activity, and Nutrition) summer nutrition education program under the guidance of Foodlink’s Nutrition Educator. The kidsCAN program, a hands-on cooking and physical activity curriculum, will be taught at a minimum of 5 Summer Meals sites. The Outreach Coordinator will also assist the planning and enacting of outreach efforts for the Cooking Matters for Kids program.
This position requires a proactive, motivated, well-organized and culturally competent individual with the ability to communicate with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
Hours & Compensation: Temporary, Full-time (40 hours per week). Duration: mid-June through mid-August, 2011. Some weekends and evenings required. $12 / hour and mileage reimbursement.
Key Position Responsibilities
- Collaborate with program coordinators from community based organizations, teachers, food service staff, site staff, and program administration to implement the kidsCAN nutrition education program and perform Cooking Matters outreach efforts– citywide travel required.
- Recruit and schedule sites.
- Process all program documentation including filing and organization of program materials.
- Plan and coordinate meetings and activities to assist with evaluation measures.
- Integrate research-based emerging nutrition education trends into current kidsCAN curriculum.
- Assist with recipe development and testing as needed.
- Prepare for and conduct sessions at sites with youth at Summer Meals locations. Minimum of ten youth per session, three sessions per site, minimum of 5 sites over the duration of the summer.
- Provide 4 nutrition education sessions for teenagers at Freshwise Farm in Penfield, NY
- Additional duties at Foodlink as required.
- Strong interest in nutrition, cooking, and physical activity
- Ability and interest in working with children and youth
- Commitment to the mission of promoting health in underserved Rochester communities
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to communicate with individuals from diverse backgrounds
- Engaging and enthusiastic teacher / engager of elementary school youth
- Flexible and adaptable to unexpected situations, resourceful and creative
- Excellent telephone, email, and verbal communication skills
- Proficient computer skills (Microsoft Word, Power Point, Excel, Outlook)
- Excellent organizational, time management and administrative skills
- Ability to work independently & collaboratively with other team members and departments
- Ability to manage many projects simultaneously
- Willingness to work some evening & weekend hours
- Ability & willingness to travel to different neighborhoods in Rochester, NY
- Reliable transportation & Drivers License
- Fluency in Spanish and/or other languages a plus
- Bachelor’s degree in Nutrition, Culinary Education, Public Health, Health Education, Elementary Education, or other related field required.
- 1-2 years experience teaching urban elementary aged youth
- Experienced teacher and/or registered dietitian preferred
- Experience or certification in physical education a plus
- Employment contingent on successful passing of drug test and background check
How to Apply
Respond with cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to:
Laura Sugarwala, RD; Foodlink Nutrition Educator
936 Exchange St, Rochester, NY 14608; 585.328.3380 ext 151; firstname.lastname@example.org
DEADLINE TO APPLY: May 30, 2011
At Foodlink we enjoy working in a team-based environment and value the benefit of a diversified workplace. Women, people of color, and other underrepresented minorities are strongly encouraged to apply. Foodlink is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on age, citizenship, color, creed, physical or mental disability, ethnicity, family responsibilities, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, marital status, race, religion, veteran status or other unlawful factors with respect to employment. Foodlink is committed to the maintenance of a drug-free workplace and ensuring compliance with the Drug-Free Workplace Act of 1988.