THIS POSITION HAS BEEN FILLED.
Queens Botanical Garden is an urban oasis where people, plants and cultures are celebrated through inspiring gardens, innovative educational programs and demonstrations of environmental stewardship.
The Queens Botanical Garden (QBG) is a private non-profit cultural institution located on 39 acres of New York City public land in Flushing, New York.
Queens Botanical Garden’s HSBC Children’s Garden enables children ages 5-12 the opportunity to plant, maintain, and harvest vegetables, herbs, and flowers in an outdoor learning environment. The children not only explore various methods of gardening, but also discover their surrounding environment through hands-on activities about birds, insects, trees, solar energy, water conservation, and composting. These positions offer a unique opportunity for individuals with interests in horticulture, education, environmental sustainability and/or non-profit organizations.
• Planting, preparation, and maintenance of the Children’s Garden
• Working with children and facilitating lessons during spring, summer and fall programs
• May assist with creation and implementation of environmental education curriculum
• Supervising high school level interns
Ideal candidates will:
• Be a minimum of sophomore in college, pursuing studies in education, botany, environmental studies or related field or has studied one of these fields
• Be knowledgeable of basic small-scale fruit and vegetable gardening
• Have experience working with children and the supervision of high school/college students
• Be able to work some evenings, and weekends, as mentioned below.
• Have desire to lead, motivate and excite others in above-mentioned fields
• Be self-motivated with the ability to work both alone and in groups
Dates and Times
There are several positions available, and any or all of the following listed can be combined.
Ideally, these candidates will be available for the following schedule: (can be flexible)
• Horticulture training- weekdays beginning middle of February
• Spring Program- Saturday mornings for 14 weeks (late March-mid June)
• Summer program- Mondays through Thursdays for 7 weeks (July-August)
• Fall program- Saturday mornings for 4 weeks (September-October)
Some of these will be paid internships.
To apply send resume and cover letter to email@example.com. No calls please.