REPORTS TO: Chief of Staff
Slow Food USA is a national non-profit that believes everyone has the right to good, clean, and fair food. With over 200,000 supporters, 24,000 members and 225 chapters in every state, Slow Food USA advocates for food and farming policy that is good for the public, good for farmers and workers, and good for the planet. Through hundreds of volunteer-led local projects, national advocacy campaigns, trainings and education, Slow Food USA seeks to transform our food and farming system through the power of everyday people. Slow Food USA has seen explosive growth over the past 18 months, and we anticipate that growth to continue.
We are seeking a highly skilled strategist and manager to build and oversee public relations and marketing for Slow Food USA. The chosen candidate will be responsible for developing a strategic communications infrastructure, developing programmatic and campaign communications plans with staff, creating and maintaining a strategic message platform and overseeing the design and production of marketing materials.
Working closely with the President and Chief of Staff, the Public Relations & Marketing Manager will be charged with raising the visibility of Slow Food USA and will lead the strategy and direction of the organization’s external communications and messaging, brand visibility and earned media. In this capacity he or she will serve as an advisor to the president and senior leadership, coordinate and integrate external communications with with online communications staff, and work with project managers to build and implement project communications plans. In building a strategic communications and marketing infrastructure, he or she will:
- Maintain an innovative organizational message platform
- Ensure consistent messaging among staff and network leadership
- Aggressively position and pitch Slow Food USA for earned media and events
- Craft and pitch op-eds, letters and blog posts to advance advocacy efforts
- Respond to media inquiries and cultivate press relationships
- Develop creative project-based communications plans with staff
- Support staff, board and chapter leaders in media relations and training
- Play a key role in identifying trends in the media and rapid response opportunities
- Edit and approve all mass communications, including fundraising solicitations
- Prepare the President and staff for interviews, events and highly visible activities
- Scope and build systems for measuring organizational brand awareness, and efforts to increase name recognition and brand control
- Oversee the production of all brand and creative materials, including brochures, fact sheets, appeals, annual reports and promotional items
- Serve as the primary liaison to the Slow Food International communications team
- Lead a team of interns, volunteers and external vendors to support you in your role
Job Requirements and Skills
- Minimum 5 to 7 years experience in communications, public relations and/or marketing
- Skilled writer, capable of crafting creative messages for a diverse constituency
- Proven record generating publicity around programs, campaigns and initiatives
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills; able to master complex issues quickly and convey information clearly for varied audiences
- Excellent organizational skills, with the ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously
- Strategic planner, capable of building and implementing detailed project plans
- Ability to work independently in an environment without extensive personnel support
- Experience working in a campaign environment a plus
- Proficiency with graphic design and editing programs a plus
- Dedicated team member, skilled at building and maintaining strong relationships with colleagues, staff, partners, reporters and stakeholders
Classification: Full-Time Exempt Employee.
Compensation: $60,000 – $65,000. Full benefits and retirement plan. Slow Food USA is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applicants of diverse backgrounds to apply. Title negotiable.
Please submit a cover letter, resume (including references) and one writing sample* to:
firstname.lastname@example.org, and use this email subject line: «Public Relations & Marketing Manager»
Application deadline: June 15, 2011
No phone calls please.
*Writing samples must be from professional work and may include journalism samples, press releases, online/blog writing or past client work. Final candidates may be asked to participate in an additional writing assessment exercise.