Seed Savers Exchange is a non-profit, member supported organization dedicated to the genetic preservation of heirloom and open-pollinated food crops. As part of this mission, SSE permanently maintains a collection of thousands of endangered vegetable varieties, making us the largest non-governmental seed bank of its kind in the United States. Please visit our website at seedsavers.org for more information.
In support of this mission, Seed Savers Exchange is currently hiring an Assistant Field Manager to help oversee and perform all aspects of seed production and vegetative crops propagation. Working under the guidance of the Collection Curator, the Assistant Field Manager will be directly involved with all stages of germplasm regeneration and collection maintenance in the field. This includes, but is not limited to:
• Assist with garden planning, weed management, crop rotations, and soil management
• Assist with coordinating cover crop program and field cultivations
• Perform all aspects of organic seed production, including planting, weeding, watering, etc.
• Perform seed collection, drying, and processing
• Maintain and harvest vegetative crops
• Help coordinate garden crew schedules
• Assist with managing pests and diseases in keeping with certified organic practices
• Coordinate with horticultural and curatorial staff on other field activities/projects
• Provide status updates and report on all field activities
There is a minimum educational requirement of a Bachelor’s Degree in horticulture or related field, or equivalent years demonstrated practical work experience in horticulture. Applicants must have previous farm experience (vegetable crops preferred). Preference will be given to applicants with previous project management and/or experience supervising field crews. Experience operating tractors and other farm equipment is desirable. All applicants must possess a valid driver’s license.
• Excellent computer skills, including ability to work in complex databases
• Ability to communicate effectively with other staff
• Ability to work well in a fast-paced environment with changing day to day needs
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team
• Ability to work in all types of outdoor conditions
Pay rate to be based on education and experience. This is a seasonal position scheduled to run through the end of December 2011. There is potential for this position to expand into a Field Manager (full-time, with benefits) position.
To apply, please email a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to email@example.com. Please include ‘Assistant Field Mgr’ in the subject line of your email. This position is open until filled. For more information visit our website at http://www.seedsavers.org