The Center for Urban Agriculture at Fairview Gardens is a California non-profit organization that was established in 1997 to preserve and operate Fairview Gardens, the historic farm where our products are grown.
Job Posting: Production Manager
Responsibilities: Responsible for all aspects of operation pertaining to production on two sites (22 acres) and assisting in marketing of products through a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program, farmers markets, farm stand and wholesale.
Job Requirements: Bachelor’s degree in business, education or agriculture related field is preferred although significant farm management experience may be substituted for a degree; experience with farm education, knowledge of organic farming, and experience with community farming outreach a plus.
• Create and implement planting schedule, crop and variety selection
• Manage soil fertility, application systems and schedule, and soil testing
• Manage pest control plan and irrigation
• Supervise machinery maintenance, purchase as necessary
• Select and procure supplies
• Maintain production in accordance with National Organic Program
• Maintain records necessary for organic certification
• Manage harvest, post harvest handling, and storage of crops
• Manage land easement with Santa Barbara Land Trust
• Manage infrastructure on both farms
• Work with CSA, Farm Stand, and Farmers Market Manager to develop production, and harvest quotas for marketing outlets
• Assist with design and implementation of marketing materials.
Leadership/ Personnel Management
• With the Executive Director you will hire, train, supervise, support, evaluate, and terminate all production employees as well as determine their wages and contracts
Board of Directors (BOD), Government, and Community Relations (What of this will still be included?)
• Collaborate with E.D. regarding compliance on various outstanding permitting issues.
• Strengthen relations with immediate neighbors through assisting E.D. in organizing community meetings, direct addressing of community concerns.
• Contribute on short and long-term strategic plan, business plan
• Create, manage and analyze all production budgets
• Member of Finance Committee
• Tracking and analysis of expenses and income per enterprise
• Detailed analysis of production records to meet marketing needs
Please reply to this posting with a resume and cover letter with references by June 5: email@example.com
Thank you for your application!!