General Description of the Organization:
Friends of Farmers (FoFF) is a non-profit grassroots organization representing a united voice of Oregon’s independent family-scaled farmers and ranchers, local food advocates and concerned citizens who are working to foster an approach to agriculture that is respectful of the land, provides a viable livelihood for family farmers and ranchers, treats animals humanely, and sustains local communities. We are working to ensure that every Oregonian – urban and agrarian, farmer and eater – understands that they are a stakeholder in agricultural policy and participates in the reclamation of our food system. FoFF promotes sensible policies, programs and regulations that protect and expand the ability of Oregon’s family farmers to run a successful land-based enterprise while providing safe and nutritious food for all Oregonians.
A general description of FoFF’s Programs, including iFarm Oregon/Next Generation, the Farmer
Campaign, the Eater Campaign, and the Watchdog/It’s My Backyard can be found on our website:
Job Description & Specific Duties
The Field Director (FD) reports to the Executive Director (ED), and helps to manage the current programs. The FD will oversee and manage all program staff to ensure that the organization is meeting strategic and programmatic goals, such as grant obligations, collaborative efforts etc. This person will work closely with the ED and the Board to direct the long-term mission of the organization. Job responsibilities could include but are not limited to: Working with the ED to supervise, coordinate and support local and remote organizers; Promoting and expanding FoFF visibility in urban and rural areas; Coordinating and overseeing educational and outreach opportunities throughout Oregon; Maintaining and building relationships in the food and farming community; Organizing and participating in fundraising events and opportunities; Representing and speaking on behalf of FoFF at conferences and public events; Communicating the views of FoFF and our members to policy makers; and producing materials for publication for in-house and external communications. The Field Director needs to be able to work from the Friends of Family Farmers’ Office in Molalla, OR, especially during the first six months of employment.
• College degree or minimum 3 years work experience in: political organizing, community organizing centered on agriculture or environmental issues, work in the field of food system sustainability and/or viability, non-profit management, and/or work in the creation of public policy.
• Demonstrated knowledge base of food system sustainability, environmental and agriculture issues.
• Experience in management of employees and/or volunteers as well as event planning;
• Outstanding written and oral communication skills including public speaking and speaking with the press;
• Proficiency with computers, including high comfort level with word-processing, database & spreadsheet programs. Familiarity with graphic design (Photoshop), social media, and website development is a big plus.
• Ability to work independently with effective time-management, as well as being a valuable part of a team. Flexibility and adaptability are highly recommended personality traits. This position includes many hours spent on the computer & phone as well as in the field. Being comfortable with remote employees is a must.
• Skills that are a plus: experience with media and/or political campaigns; bilingual abilities; documented super powers; sense of humor, focus, determination, and a fantastic work ethic.
• Must have transportation. Some travel necessary; flexible schedule a must.
Compensation and Hours:
FTE 40 hours/week
Paid vacation days and comp time
Currently no health benefits
To Apply for This Position
Please do not call or email applications. Please send hard copy of cover letter and resume and supply a writing sample along with three professional references. Please snail-mail materials to:
Friends of Family Farmers
re: Job Application – Field Director
P.O. Box 1286
Molalla, OR 97038
We will accept resumes starting immediately, and your resume must arrive in the Molalla office no later than Friday June 17th. We are seeking to hire by July 1, 2011 but reserve the right to keep the hiring process open until the perfect addition to our team is found. Questions can be emailed to
Friends of Family Farmers is Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The organization is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.