Start Date: July 1st, 2011
People’s Grocery is a health and wealth organization – our mission is to improve the health and economy of West Oakland through the local food system. Through programs, advocacy, and leadership development, we actively pursue “food justice,” the idea that access to healthy foods is a human right.
The Grub Box Coordinator is primarily responsible for the customer service of our largest food distribution programs, the Grub Box (a modified CSA program that provides fresh fruits and vegetables to low-income families in West Oakland and Oakland residents). The Grub Box Coordinator will support the organization’s goal of encouraging community health through healthy foods, ensuring quality of service delivery, developing marketing strategies, and customer engagement. Our Grub Box program is more than a CSA–we are looking to build the food justice movement with our customer base, and are looking for someone not only experienced in food service (retail/distribution/marketing), but someone committed to healthy food for everyone.
Primary Responsibility: Coordination of Grub Box Program (90%)
- Refine and implement customer service process from beginning to end, including:
- Criteria for enrollment into the Grub Box Program (verification of income status, food stamp usage, non-resident fees, etc).
- Registration process for Grub Box customers (online, phone, mail).
- Process for ordering, billing, and financial receiving/accounting, and all transactions.
- Collection of customer satisfaction data including survey design, implementation, and analysis.
- Troubleshooting and implementing solutions with dissatisfied customers.
- Develop and refine marketing messages, branding, promotional and educational materials including the Grub Box newsletter.
- Manage relationship with Dig Deep Farms, a partner organization.
- Develop and maintain plan for project growth, including increased customer base, maintenance and analysis of program profit/loss, pricing, movement building activities with customers, etc. Interface with the Resident Engagement Coordinator on activity outreach and planning.
Secondary Responsibility: Coordination of Wholesale Hookup (10%)
- Coordinate Wholesale Hookup Program, including customer service, ordering, catalogue distribution, and bulk foods distribution.
- Be the primary contact for our wholesale distributor, United Natural Foods, Inc.
- Experience in the food industry, especially customer service or marketing
- Experience in a management or leadership position
- Competency in basic software applications, especially database software
- Proven ability to create and implement new strategies, identify opportunities, and find solutions independently in an environment without extensive systems
- Exceptional organizational skills with the ability to handle multiple priorities and projects simultaneously, and maintain excellent administrative documentation and systems
- The ability to effectively manage complex organizational change
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; able to master complex issues and convey information clearly
- Strong interpersonal communication and relationship skills
- Must have a valid California license and be able to drive a manual vehicle
- Experience in both non-profit and for-profit sectors
- Experience working in low-income communities and communities of color
Title: Grub Box Coordinator, People’s Grocery
Classification: Full-Time Non-Exempt Employee (32 hours/week)
Compensation: Salary between $13/hr and $15/hr (commensurate with experience) benefits included
Location: Oakland, CA
Start Date: July 1st, 2011
Reports to: Program Director of People’s Grocery
To Apply: Please email your resume, cover letter, and writing sample of no more than 3 pages to email@example.com.
No calls please.