Location: Park Slope, Brooklyn, NY
Position Title: Staff Writer
Hours: Part Time (24-30 hours per week)
Pay: TBD based on experience
Ger-Nis Culinary & Herb Center, located in Park Slope, Brooklyn is a hands on recreational and educational culinary center & events venue with an emphasis on local, organic, sustainable and fairly traded foods. The culinary center offers a wide variety of hands on education and culinary classes for children and adults as well as culinary services and events space. We are aiming to give our community the opportunity to learn more about food and cook with great ease and joy while supporting good healthy habits for ourselves and the planet! The company has some big plans this summer and will be launching some amazing initiatives and we will be super busy and it will be an exciting summer, plus some amazing new features in the fall! Please see our website for more details: http://www.ger-nis.com/culinaryherbcenter.
Announcement: Brooklyn Culinary Center Seeks Staff Writer
If you crave a place where you can write fun & whimsically about food, this could be your dream job. We’re bringing a fresh, unique voice to the food world with a plethora of projects and daily writing tasks and we want to work with an experienced editor and writer who is looking to join our team and help us with our daily writing needs as well as help us develop our voice even further into the sustainable food world. We are looking for writers to help with all forms of our writing and editing , from our fun & unique class description, to our on line magazine, The Herb Blurbs to many of our newsletters, recipe headlines and marketing materials as well as press releases and an upcoming television show for qualified candidates. The staff writer would also be editing the monthly blog written by our founder Nissa Pierson, Sustenance, A Food & Culture Blog. We will also like to have the staff writer handle many of our facebook and twitter posts, which means you must be completely fluent in all of the standard online communications. If you have an existing base of fans/followers on any or all of the leading platforms, that’s a big plus.
- You will work closely with founder on daily & high-level content & editorial strategy.
- You will play an integral part in shaping our voice.
- You will manage our social media efforts, including our blog, Twitter and Facebook pages.
- Prior food writing experience is t required, you should also be an AVID food lover and sustainable food advocate, knowledge of sustainable, local, organic and fair-traded food movement a BIG plus.
- You must have significant professional editorial and/or writing experience.
- You must be fluent in all the leading online communications platforms and be an existing user of most/all of them.
- Must be located in NYC or Brooklyn and be willing to come into our office for meetings and even work.
- Must have word press & Abobe CS5 (In Suite) Experience
- Must be able to work independently and on task with the ability to keep deadlines a MUST!
- Attention to detail skills mandatory and must be a quick analytical thinker
- Sense of humor and a liking of dogs a big plus!
To apply, please submit resume and cover letter as well as two writing samples: one writing sample of a class description like advertised on our site and another general food sample 200-500 words. Send submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org. NO CALLS PLEASE!