JOB SUMMARY Daily Groceries Co-op invites applications and nominations for the position of General Manager. The General Manager is responsible for the achievement of Daily Groceries Co-op organizational results as defined in policies developed by the board of directors and embodied in the strategic plan. The general manager reports to the seven-member board of directors, which is elected by the members of the cooperative. The board operates under Policy Governance, a system that emphasizes vision and values empowerment and accountability. The board uses policy to define the results the general manager is expected to achieve within defined limits of prudence and ethics. The general manager has the authority to hire, direct, structure, and evaluate all other staff. Building on the foundations of The Seven Cooperative Principles, our Co-op shall:
● Maintain and grow an economically sustainable consumer food co-op
● Support the local, organic, and sustainable food and goods economy
● Foster civil dialogue, connections between people, and community engagement
● Provide our owners and customers access to a diverse array of food, goods, and services that meets their needs
● Model environmental sustainability through our activities, facilities, products, and services
● Educate our owners, customers, and the wider community about food and food systems
● Create a rewarding work environment for our staff and excellent service for our owners and customers
● Bottom-line accountability experience for a business or organization
● Experience with operating, capital, and cash budgeting for a business or organization, with a minimum of three years experience
● Supervisory experience, with a minimum of three years experience
● Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of educational and working experience
DESIRED MANAGEMENT QUALIFICATIONS Cooperative Principles
● Commitment to Cooperative values and principles
● Experience working with or serving on a board of directors
● Cooperative management experience
● Demonstrated ability to use systems thinking to develop and manage systems
● Demonstrated ability to develop, implement and evaluate a strategic plan
● Demonstrated ability to make decisions by successfully weighing competing priorities
● High standard of ethics
● Demonstrated ability to build an effective management team
● Demonstrated ability to positively lead, motivate, and coordinate people to gain cooperation
● Demonstrated ability to listen, and give and receive feedback without defensiveness
● Demonstrated ability to present spoken and written information clearly
● Experience operating an enterprise with revenue in the one million dollars a year range.
● Experience supervising managers
● Experience managing a retail food store, preferably in the natural food industry is a plus
● Knowledge of common trends in the natural food industry is a plus
● Demonstrate computer literacy such as word processing, spreadsheets, email, PowerPoint, and database systems
● Compensation will be commensurate with experience and track record and will include health benefits and a straightforward Performance Incentive Compensation plan.
Daily Groceries Co-op: Founded in 1992, Daily Groceries is an established shopping destination not only for health food and vegetarian shoppers in Athens, Ga., but its also a go-to stop for households in the many surrounding neighborhoods. According to the co-op’s mission statement, “Daily Groceries strives to embody progressive cultural transformation through socially and environmentally conscious practices as a democratically run, not-for-profit natural foods store.” Daily embodies those words by partnering with local social causes, supporting local farmers, and paying close attention to our ecological footprint. Vegetarian, Vegan, Raw and Gluten-Free diets are popular among our customers; local foods and organic offerings top our customers shopping choices.
Athens, Ga: Located in the foothills on northeast Georgia, and embedded in the watersheds of the Oconee and Broad Rivers, Athens is a bustling, yet still small, college town that is home to a diverse population. The major attraction, for many reasons, is the University of Georgia (UGA) which draws students and faculty from all over the country. The area is also home to a strong technical college, as well as a number of private colleges. In addition to the families, students and academics who shop at Daily, Athens’ booming medical industry draws doctors, nurses, and medical technicians to the area.
Athens is best known for its storied music scene. Take a walk downtown any night of the week to find rock, jazz, hip-hop and folk music soaring out of the city’s many bars and nightclubs. On top of the tunes, visual and theatrical arts scenes are also well established: the Georgia Museum of Art is located on the UGA campus, the Lyndon House Arts Center keeps young and old Athenians creative, and the Town and Gown players bring local talent together to stage world famous plays.
Daily is nestled between two historic neighborhoods – Cobbham and Boulevard – and is just under a mile from downtown. Top-notch elementary, middle and high schools are located nearby; homes for rent or purchase in the area are always available.
Atlanta is a short hour-and-a-half drive away, and offers numerous cultural and shopping opportunities, as well as an international airport. Atlantic beaches are within a few hours drive, as are the world class coastal cities of Savannah and Charleston, S.C. If mountains are more your thing, hikers can quickly reach the Appalachian Trail.
Applicants should submit 1) a letter of application that addresses the Required and Highly Desired qualifications for this position, 2) a current detailed resume, and 3) the names and contact information (mailing addresses, phone numbers and e-mail addresses) of six professional references and one personal reference. These references will not be contacted until permission is received. The position will remain open until filled. Screening of applications will begin June 6, 2011. Inquiries should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications and nominations should be sent to:
Or you may mail your application to:
ATTN: General Manager Search
Daily Groceries Cooperative
523 Prince Ave.
Athens, Ga. 30601
Daily Groceries Co-op is fully committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and to attracting, retaining, developing and promoting the most qualified employees without regard to their race, gender, color, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental ability, citizenship status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state or local law.
Daily Groceries Co-op employs only US citizens and lawfully authorized non-US citizens. All new employees must show employment eligibility verification as required by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.