Position: Intern at Oke USA Fair Trade Fruit Company
Location: West Bridgewater, MA (fyi – staff lives in Boston, MA or Providence, RI)
Desired time period: Summer and/or Fall 2011
Oke USA Fruit Company, a 100% Fair Trade banana importing company, is a subsidiary of Equal Exchange, a worker owned cooperative fairly trading coffee, tea and chocolate for over 25 years. Oke USA was founded in 2006 as an alternative trading organization importing organic fair trade bananas directly from small farmer cooperatives in Ecuador and Peru for the US market. Our customers are mostly natural food stores and food cooperatives from the Mid Atlantic to the NE as well as Minneapolis/St Paul. We are a small team looking to offer a different banana with a social conscience and small farmer story to the American consumer.
Duties/Responsibilities of marketing intern
- Assist Oke with all aspect of marketing and education
- Manage social media in collaboration with Equal Exchange marketing/social media staff
- Assist with the creation of a monthly newsletter
- Compile and create marketing materials from materials collected during past banana producer visits for educational and PR purposes
- Help organize events and demos
- Assist with web updates
- Research and present international banana market and industry reports
- Other various tasks.
- Intern will have the ability to think creatively and contribute marketing ideas and projects to the team that, if approved, could become a future project/campaign.
- Creative, skilled, passionate, entrepreneurial, enthusiastic, independent candidate
- Excellent verbal communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills
- Experience with marketing tools preferred (such as Adobe photo shop, video editing, online marketing services)
- Proficiency in social media
- Background in marketing, communications, international food systems, food policy and/or agriculture highly desired
- Ability to be flexible and work with a fun, outgoing small team
- Spanish skill a plus
- Transportation to West Bridgewater (most staff live in Jamaica Plain or Providence, RI, potential to arrange carpooling if necessary)
Time commitment/duration of internship:
Preferred 3 month Summer/Fall position depending on availability. Potential ability to work from home once projects get underway.
Part time (2-3 days/week), unpaid position with flexible hours.
What you will gain:
- Experience and knowledge working with an international trade organization working to change our food system through trade.
- Understanding and experience working with an alternative small business.
- Marketing, event planning, organizational skills.
- Great resume experience for anyone in the field / study of environmental science, nutrition, dietetics, food policy, agriculture, food systems, marketing, communications, business, organic studies, international trade, international business.
How to apply:
Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com (please include available/preferred dates for internship)