Local Food Outreach Intern: 10-15 hours each week, 3 month commitment desired
This intern will support IFFS programs to assist farmers and gardeners in donating fresh produce to feed people in need. Through our Field Gleaning program we visit area farms and glean excess produce. Plant a Row for the Hungry provides opportunities for gardeners to donate homegrown produce through drop-off sites in the community.
Activities may include:
- Conduct program outreach and volunteer recruitment
- Identify local gardening publications and groups to promote programs and volunteer opportunities
- Help plan volunteer appreciation and/or recruitment events
- Assist in publishing a newsletter (PAR)
- Write feature stories, design flyers, take photographs at local gardens
- Create and conduct presentations at farmers market meetings
- Assist in setting up new donation sites
Young Farmer Training Program Intern: 10-15 hours each week, 3 month commitment desired
This intern will help support the IFFS Young Farmer Training Program’s educational activities through working on the farm (4505 Tryon Road, Raleigh) or from home. YFTP is an on-farm apprenticeship for teens in Wake County. The apprentices meet each Wednesday, Friday and Saturday from 8-2, and host a Young Farmer Market and workshops/events Saturdays from 9-1.
Activities may include :
- Create media/literature including video, audio, and zines to 1. Document the work of YFTP apprentices, 2. Share how-to information about farming or food
- Streamline curricula by formatting existing lesson plans into template
- Co-teach farming/food lessons for apprentices and/or for the public
- Coordinate on-farm events, invite local experts to lead workshops and activities
- Develop and coordinate fundraising events to support YFTP
- Help advertise and publicize YFTP and Young Farmer Market
Qualifications and desired skills:
- Identify with the vision, mission, and values of IFFS
- Interest in food systems, sustainable farming, gardening, local food, food justice
- Creativity, positive attitude, hard working, flexible, good organizational skills
- Ability and self-motivation to work unsupervised
- Ability to work with and respect for people of all ages and backgrounds
- Arrive prepared and on time, ready to work and learn
- Experience in outreach/marketing/promotion
- No farming experience necessary!
To apply: Email your complete application and resume to
email@example.com for the Local Food Outreach Intern, or
firstname.lastname@example.org for the Young Farmer Training Program Intern
Accepting applications on a rolling basis until filled.
Download our Volunteer Internship Application at http://foodshuttle.org/program/plant-a-row or http://foodshuttle.org/program/young-farmer-training-program.